Wednesday, May 20, 2009

SCBWI WWA '09

Without a doubt, my performance was significantly less dorky than last year. If you haven't read what happened to me last year, you should. It's memorable to say the least.

I think I'm getting better at behaving in a conferencey way. Upon my arrival at the airport, I calmly handed the cab driver a piece of paper with the hotel and address written on it. Smooth. We were able to avoid the highway hop-to-the-trunk trick, which is always a step up.

My wonderful travelling companion, Deb, was impressed. Weren't you Deb? Right? Right?

Speaking of Deb, I think I found another pea for my little pod. We fit quite nicely together and found out that we both love to talk. A lot. And she's brilliant! While drifting to sleep one night I mumbled my difficulties with having three different endings to my current novel and she said one little sentence that cleared the whole thing up. Did I mention she's brilliant? Yup, I have now figured out how my novel ends and it's a beautiful thing.

Attention Blueboarders! You all are freakin' awesome! I had so much fun on Saturday night and Vijaya did an amazing job of selecting the restaurant. I have got to learn how to cook Butter Chicken because I'm not waiting another year before I try it again. Thank you all for your great company! It was great meeting you and getting to know you better.

So, back to my conference experience. There's not much to say. The keynote speakers were amazing and inspirational. I think the highlight of my trip was meeting Ellen Hopkins and having her sign Identical and Crank. She is an incredible woman. The agents were a top notch line up and most of their sessions were insightful and helpful. I love having a much better sense of who they are now and who I would LOVE to have as an agent. And who I wouldn't. And no. I will not name names.

My consultation went well, too. Based on my first five pages, I was told I'm a strong writer with a compelling story. (squee!) He gave great specific advice on what I can improve upon and some good general tips on pacing and revealing. I can't wait to implement them.

I went a little crazy with my note taking in the sessions and I haven't checked, but I'm hoping I'll be able to decipher them. Once I've got everything organized, I think I'll put up a few notes for you all to see, just because the info was too good not to share.

So, who's taking bets on how long it'll take me to get those notes up? Anyone?

11 comments:

Stella said...

Glad you had such a great time, Linda. I could just see myself making all the dorky mistakes you did at your first conference (only I'd be worse, trust me). Now that you're a seasoned conference goer, it's all so much easier, non? Terry and I will be meeting up at the Eastern NY SCBWI conference again in June. I had a good time last year. We met Della, Rainchains and Buglady from the Blue Boards. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

I think that's the best part, isn't it? Meeting the people behind the names?

Have fun with Terry in June! I sure wish I could come meet you guys!

Mary Witzl said...

It's great when you finally KNOW what the ending is going to be, isn't it? After that, it practically writes itself. Glad you had such a good time.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Thanks, Mary! I'm so happy to know my ending! It's frustrating to have a full first draft but still have no clue how to end it. Now that I've figured it out, I can revise with that ending in mind and weave in all kinds of goodies. :D YAY!!

Deb said...

Impressed indeed!!! I followed along and you knew just where to go, what to do---stress free travelling works for me.

Thanks on the brilliant, but ya know, when you've got the kind of story you're working on--it's easy to be inspired!

Speaking of help...ditto back on the help you gave on my picture book!! Brilliance was bounding around that room, I say.

Your fellow pea,

Deb

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Thanks Deb! I fear the brilliance may have been a passing/fleeting/temporary thing. I'm blank since returning home. But I'm glad I was able to help you out while it was there. :D

FrecklesandDeb said...

This is a little late, but I'm finally getting around to say "hi" to those who were at the dinner! I'm the "Other Deb." The conference was fun and motivating. I've been writing like crazy since I got back. I'm really looking forward to next year already!

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Hi Deb!!

Me too. I've been revising like crazy. Okay, not like crazy, but more than my usual. I'm looking forward to next year too! It was so great to see you at dinner. I wish we'd had more time to talk.

Thanks for stopping by!

Ghost Girl said...

I love the adrenaline rush you get from a conference! And that furious bouncing of ideas is unbeatable. I'm glad you had such a great time. Now, you and Stella should come down to the Pocono retreat next year!

Mary Ann said...

Oh...and as to those notes...All bets are off, babe! But I'm glad you had such a great time.

Blue Boarders really are awesome!

Karen said...

Oh, how fun! There's just nothing like a great conference to get those juices flowing.