Saturday, March 07, 2009

I'm so Freakin' Awesome!

I hate to admit it, but sometimes I suck at things. Like most people, I try to avoid the activities that will embarrass me, but when you have kids, it gets kinda tricky to come up with excuses for why you shouldn't do something.

That's why I skate. And that's the only reason.

As a kid, I never learned to stop on skates and I broke my wrist because of it when I was around eleven. In my defence, well ... ice is slippery. Sticking metal blades to your feet and then trying to glide on that slippery, hard stuff seems about as practical as jumping out of an air plane. I have a skater girl though who lives to skate and a couple weeks ago, I decided to have some mother daughter time so she could have some free time on the ice instead of always being in lessons.

I started off pretty well. I hadn't skated since last year, so I was a bit wobbly, but within 5 minutes or so, I started to loosen up.

And then I fell. Knees. Elbows. Stomach. Ouch.

With my pride a little crushed, I staggered back up onto my death blades and continued on, hoping no one had noticed my plunge. I promised myself I'd never do that again. I mean really. I don't normally ever fall. I was arrogant enough to think that was my one fall as an adult and I'd never do it again.

Fifteen minutes later - I did it again.

And this time I couldn't get up. I need to break from the story for a moment to thank all the adults on the ice that day who didn't take the time to help me up. Or help me to the bench. Or ask me if I need help. Or notice that my 7 year old girl was the only one helping me hobble-glide across the ice. Thanks. You're all so ... wonderful.

Long story short, I mucked up the cartilage in my knee and I've been couch-ridden for two weeks now. I've barely spent any time on my computer because even though it's a laptop, it's annoying to balance it on only one knee. So I apologize that I've been ignoring everyone's blogs and neglecting my own, but I promise to get back into things within the next week or so.

One thing's for sure -- I don't think I'm ever skating again.

11 comments:

Stella said...

Maybe try resting the laptop on a table instead of your sore knee. Hope it's improving. Keep icing - or chilling.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Sitting in chairs is still quite uncomfortable for me because then I have nowhere to prop my leg. It hurts to bend it.

See the trouble? It's getting better, though. Finally. I think I'll actually be able to start on a few critiques tomorrow (unless something happens to get in my way).

Heather said...

You are awesome...even if you can't skate.

Dawnelle said...

Poor Linda!!

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Hehe, thanks Heather. You're awesome too!

HI Dawnelle!! Nice to see you around here again. :)

Brenda said...

I hope your feeling better! I have never ice skated, but I've a similar experience with roller skates...I flip over someone's butt and ended up on my back looking up at the butt that had just knocked me for a loop...don't ask...all I know is I was going along wobbly and this butt came out of nowhere and BAMM! I have never been roller skating since...

Hope your leg/knee feels better soon!

Mary Witzl said...

Oh, poor you! Skating (and skiing too, come to think of it) are Hell on Earth for me. I'm not great with extreme cold, I'm clumsy, and I have weak ankles. Also, I like to be firmly on my feet: I had an experience similar to Brenda's the last time I roller-skated and cracked my tail bone. I don't think anything would get me to put on a pair of skates again, so I really give you credit. Hope your knee mends fast!

Linda D. (sbk) said...

OMG Brenda, I'm sorry, but that story is hilarious! I hope you weren't too hurt.

I feel bad about it, but I have to agree with you Mary. I don't think I'll ever skate again. I just wish there was a way to skate with Kelly without, ya know, skating with Kelly.

Mary Witzl said...

The last time my family went skating, I ordered a hot chocolate, sat myself down in the spectators' section, and read a book, looking up occasionally when I heard one of my kids shriek. It was the best time I've ever had skating. When your Kelly gets a little older, I can't recommend that enough.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Now, that's my kind of skating! I already do that with her now. hehe ... She's a way better skater than I am now, that's for sure.

Nora MacFarlane said...

Ow.

I'm with Mary - I bring my laptop to the skating rink. They have WiFi!