Monday, March 30, 2009

Canadian Authors Rock, eh?

I thought I'd stick with a theme for this month. Amazing Canadian authors who rock!

WAITING TO SCORE by J.E. MacLeod (YA) * * * * - Sure, the guys will enjoy this book for the hockey and the testosterone-induced teen angst. But I think most girls will enjoy it just as much because, let's be honest. Who can resist a gorgeous, book-reading hockey player? I was hooked on Zack Chase from the first pages and found myself reading well into the night to see if he'd be able to crawl out from under his father's shadow. Engrossing and fast-paced. Loved it!

CRACKED UP TO BE by Courtney Summers (YA) * * * * - Parker is definitely one of those memorable characters who stick with you long after you've finished the book. I think we've all done things we regret as teens and Parker's secret haunts her to the core. She makes me wish I could go back and relive (change) certain moments too. A truly engrossing book that is impossible to put down.

CHESTER and CHESTER'S BACK by Melanie Watt (Picture book) * * * * * - I don't normally review picture books, but I have no choice here. Chester's power is too strong. The books? They're pure genius! About a cat who takes over the author's books and rewrites them the way he thinks they should be. I only wish I'd thought of it first. Hilarious and fun, my daughter will be reading these books for years.

12 comments:

sharigreen said...

Hi Linda. I found your post via twitter.

I interviewed Courtney on my blog a while back, and have an interview with J.E. coming up this week! Now I guess I must be meant to search out that PB author.... ;)

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Hi Shari! Thanks for stopping by.

Have fun interviewing Janet. She's awesome!

Katiewack said...

Hey! I found your post via twitter too XD

I really want to read Waiting To Score, it sounds like an awesome book. Cracked Up To Be was also on a reading list I have, so I have to read that too.

And yes, Canadian authors rock XD Lindsay and I are still amazed that you met Eric Walters.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Hi Katie!

You might have fun following Courtney (the author of Cracked Up to Be) on twitter. She's very entertaining.

http://twitter.com/courtney_s

J.E MacLeod is also on twitter, but not as active.

http://twitter.com/JEMACLEOD

J.E. MacLeod said...

Gah. Kind of cool to be mentioned in the same breath as Courtney...

I loved her book!

Thanks for the great review, Linda.

Now... I'm waiting to read your book. :)

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Haha! You'll be waiting a while.

And Janet. Let's be honest. You deserve to be in the same breath as Courtney. You guys are both awesome!

Mary Witzl said...

Wow -- all these people are Canadians? This seems unfair: you guys have Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young -- and now this! Sheesh.

Honestly, I could care less about hockey players, but I love fiction for boys. And Cracked Up To Be sounds great too; I've read several good reviews of it.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

You bet your butt, they're Canadian. :D

We also have Kiefer Sutherland, Bryan Adams, Mike Meyers, John Candy, Nellie Furtado ... oh, I could go on. :D

Nora MacFarlane said...

Linda - I nominated you for an award on my blog!

Mary Witzl said...

Kiefer Sutherland AND Mike Meyers? Honestly, I had no idea! How about Dan Ackyrod? Someone told me he was Canadian too.

Considering your comparatively smaller population, you have quite a few heavyweights there, don't you?

Brenda said...

Hi Linda...just stopped by to let you know I nominated you for the Lemonade Stand Award on my blog...This award is one of those easy ones...all you have to do is list 10 blogs you like and that's it...no telling about yourself and all that...grin..

Hugs...

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Thanks Nora and Brenda! That's awesome! I'll get to it after the Easter weekend.

And Mary, yes, Dan Ackroyd is also Canadian. Watch out, it's an invasion.