Friday, February 20, 2009

Random Reading


CANTERWOOD CREST: TAKE THE REINS by Jessical Burkhart (MG) * * * * Book 1 of a new series - If you know any girls who love horses, this is a fantastic book for them to curl up with for a weekend. Rich in horsey detail and high on teen girl rivalry, TAKE THE REINS was a perfect book to keep me reading into all hours of the night. I'd love to hang on to this book, but I know the perfect 13 year old girl who can't wait to get her hands on it. If you love this book, watch out for Book #2, CHASING BLUE, due to be released on March 24, 2009.


PEEPS by Scott Westerfeld (YA) * * * * - A refreshing new spin on vampires (at least as far as my experience takes me). Cal is a carrier of a parasite and has infected all his girlfriends and turned them into Peeps, or vampires. Now it's his job to track them down before they can spread the disease further. Um, cool stuff. Well written. And I'll never, ever see my cats the same way again.




BLUE BLOODS by Melissa De La Cruz (YA) * * - Another vampire book, but this time it didn't work for me. I wasn't interested in the history or the name brands the characters wore and honestly, the fact that these vampires were the elite of New York just made me like them less. Parts of the plot felt contrived and convenient and by the end, I was angry to see that there wasn't any type of ending to give me closure. Read book two to find out what happens? I don't think so.

8 comments:

Jessica Burkhart said...

Thank you for the shout out! :) I so, so appreciate it!

Linda D. (sbk) said...

No problem. Seriously, I started the book at 5:30 last night and didn't put it down (except to watch Hell's Kitchen) until I was done at around 2:00 am.

Great book, Jessica!

Rena said...

Cool! I wish my girls were younger. They'd probably love Jessica's books.

Brenda said...

I have a niece who loves horses...

She has Jessica's book on her wish list...

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Wow, have I got some good books to mini-review. I was just going through my shelves and figuring out what I've read and haven't reviewed ... this is going to be fun. =)

Stella said...

I see I have even more titles to add to my To Be Read list. Thanks for sharing!

Mary Witzl said...

Yep -- I'll keep an eye out for these too. I know horsey girls, both here and in Scotland. They can't get enough horse books and are always looking out for new ones.

And I'm actually thrilled to find a book I DON'T have to put on my list, so well done on that one too! Very few things in this world could interest me less than name brands, so you did me a real service here.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Happy to help. :)